Thinking of a sabbatical? This video below shows me & my wife’s from a few years ago.
- Dream about it. If a family, dream together. What would be memorable, stretching, refreshing, great for growth & relationships?
- Do short trips to test out ideas- Christine didn’t like cycling until we did 2 day test-trip – she then suggested riding 5k km across America!(An adventurous trip together is recommended for marriage- not always easy but definitely good (yes, we had spectacular tiffs- not in the video!)
- It doesn’t need to be expensive. You can go to a less costly country, & if you’re cycling/camping you can live on under 10 dollars a day. Airbnb your flat out too.
- What is hard- is getting time off work. But before you say “you’re a freelancer, it’s easy for you”, brainstorm how you could make it happen: e.g. ask for longer gardening leave; negotiate unpaid leave; plan several years ahead; make yourself formidably employable… still no good, keep brainstorming.
- Don’t underestimate the career benefits – you will grow much. After my tandem ride my keynote speaking career really took off If you can’t get a full sabbatical, plan a 2 week adventure holiday, and if you can’t do that, then check out Alastair Humphreys cool microadventure concept www.alastairhumphreys.com